Here’s the new game trailer for DDO. The old one was nice but it’s good to have an updated one.
Monthly: March 2013
A drow, a tiefling, and a half-orc are standing on the roof of a burning building. Their only possible escape is to jump into a blanket held by a group of humans on the streets below.
The drow is the first to approach the edge. “Jump!” yell the humans. “It’s your only chance!”
Seeing no other alternative, the drow jumps off the roof. The humans pull away the blanket, leaving the drow to splat on the street, dead.
Next is the tiefling. “Come on, you have to jump!” the humans shout.
“I don’t think so,” the tiefling responds. “You’re just going to pull away the blanket and leave me to die!”
“No we’re not!” the humans yell back. “It’s just drow we don’t like. We’re fine with tieflings!”
Convinced, the tiefling jumps off and goes splat as the humans pull back the blanket.
Only the half-orc remains on top of the burning building. “Hurry up and jump or you’re gonna burn!” the humans shout.
“Nothing you humans say is gonna convince me you won’t pull away the blanket,” the half-orc responds. “So before I jump, I want you to set the blanket on the ground and back away.”
I came across
MMOdata.net(site removed) the other day when reading the forums. It’s a site that estimates the amount of accounts each major MMO has. Some of the data is a bit outdated but it gives an idea on where a lot of the MMOs rank among each other.
It was cool to see that DDO had 110000 subscribers at it’s peak in 2010 when it went to it’s current free to play model.
Most MMOs are very secretive on their actual numbers so i don’t know how accurate the site is but it’s interesting information none the less.
The Economy of DDO is getting a reboot. Astral Diamonds were introduced, to my recollection, as a way to upgrade a guild airship with an in game currency that differed from Turbine Points. They could be looted from chests but the drop rate is extremely rare. Individual players could purchase these diamonds with points then give the them to to the airship vendor. The vendor would save them and when a guild had enough diamonds an officer could purchase or upgrade an airship. This was a nice way to take Turbine Points and turn them into a type of currency.
Then they were used to make marks that could upgrade items in the Lordsmarch Plaza. Not a bad idea. If a person didn’t want to farm the marks from the quest they could just buy 5 diamonds and turn them into a mark.
A bit later astral shards were introduced. 1 astral diamond could be turned into 5 astral shards. These shards could be used to purchase gold seal hirelings, they could be used to repair weapons and items anywhere in game and they still were the way to upgrade airships.
With the addition of the shard exchange in patch 17.1 a fourth type of currency is added(platinum, commodities such as scales and other collectibles, Turbine Points and Astral Shards). The shard exchange is basically the auction house where items can be put up for auction and people can bid astral shards for those items. Depending on the item Turbine takes a fee of 30% or 40% which I think is high.
It seems to me that Turbine is trying to cash in on the micro transaction craze that is going on with facebook and mobile apps. The good news is you don’t have to use this system and you can put your items up in the regular auction house for good ol’ platinum. As GamerGeoff points out here this could be Turbines way to kind of reset the economy. Ever since update 14 my characters have gotten richer and richer. I not plat capped, but I’m willing to say that I’m comfortable and if I really wanted to I could purchase pretty much anything. At the same time I’ve noticed that the price of things in the auction house have risen as well.
With this update Turbine has given a bit of incentive to become VIP. They’re giving a XP bonus of 10% to VIPs. Fernando said this was going to happen but I didn’t expect it until update 18. Some VIPs felt a bit slighted that they have to pay extra money for expansion packs when in the beginning they were told that they fork over money every month they’d get all content. Turbine got around this by saying that expansions were different the adventure packs. This seems like a casting of cure light wounds, but it’s better then nothing.
All in all I think this is going to be a good thing for DDO. I’m gonna stick around to see.
I’m one of those people that if I’ve changed characters a bunch I have to restart my DDO client before entering a quest or wilderness area or face a possible game crash. It’s really annoying but it’s something I’ve learned to live.
I recently came across this forum post gave a little help with the subject. I followed the directions and now my game crashes a bit less. I find that now I crash half as much as before, which is still annoying, but it’s a step forward.
Part of the problem could be that I run DDO on an older machine and my old operating system can’t handle all the memory leaks that the game has. Many of my friends in the game have newer computers and they hardly crash at all.
Hope this helps.
You can read the forum post here but the general idea of it is that if in the future you reincarnate and you lose your epic destiny experience submit a ticket and eventually it will be fixed. If you lost it in the past, submit a ticket and it will eventually be fixed as well.
In either case your help ticket might go into a “researching” queue while the GMs look into it.
I’m glad they have an official way of dealing with this. I’m sure many people are tired of the “this is a known issue” message with the closing of the ticket.
Someone recently brought up on the forums that they think the DDO armors for female toons are designed by 12 year old’s. While I’m kinda neutral on the subject I do think some of them are pretty ugly. I think it’s that way so you want to buy a armor kit to cover it up. None the less, watch this video, it’s pretty dead on.
Turbine has extended VIP for four days to all that qualify. The chance took place between Friday March 8th and Sunday March 10th.
With the 250 bonus points given and most of the outfits returned it appears that the compensation is just about complete.
- December 2016 (2)
- November 2016 (1)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (1)
- May 2016 (3)
- March 2016 (1)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (1)
- December 2015 (2)
- November 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (1)
- September 2015 (1)
- August 2015 (1)
- July 2015 (2)
- June 2015 (1)
- May 2015 (2)
- April 2015 (2)
- March 2015 (2)
- February 2015 (1)
- January 2015 (3)
- December 2014 (3)
- November 2014 (1)
- October 2014 (1)
- September 2014 (3)
- August 2014 (2)
- July 2014 (2)
- June 2014 (6)
- May 2014 (3)
- April 2014 (4)
- March 2014 (3)
- February 2014 (2)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (2)
- October 2013 (2)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (4)
- July 2013 (2)
- June 2013 (2)
- May 2013 (5)
- April 2013 (8)
- March 2013 (20)
- February 2013 (34)
Tagsairship android birthday box bugged bugs builds character generator Cordovan Crazy ddo destiny developer downtime dragons Dungeons and Dragons epic epic destiny epic gianthold gameplay gianthold giveaway hotfix kobold maintenance marketplace Monsters MotU outfit patch reference release notes screen shot servers shadowfell shroud stream Tolero turbine points twitch update update 17 update 20 update 22 youtube
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #402 February 11, 2019Natheme dances under the moon in our 402nd DDO Screenshot of the Week! Congratulations, Psychoblonde, for sending in this week's screenshot! Click here to see the entire gallery. DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 320 February 7, 2019In The News! DDO Bonus Days bring you a +25% Cannith Crafting XP Boost, now through February 10th! Now available: +2 Racial Action Point Tomes and +1 to +2 Racial Action Point Upgrade Tomes. Limited release through February 10th! Rise again! Get 20% off: Reincarnations SP Potions […]Oliveyew
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #401 February 4, 2019A ten skull Reaper group's achievement is our pick for this week's DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Caireen, for sending in this screenshot, and congrats to the Reaper Wing Party on Ghallanda! Click here to see the entire gallery. DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 319 January 31, 2019In The News! DDO Bonus Days bring you a +5% Buddy Boost weekend! Get +5% XP for every member in your party OR raid group other than yourself, now through February 3rd! Bigger is Better! Get 20% off: Sovereign Guild Renown Elixir 25 Superior SP Potions 100 Gold Seal of Sovereign Healing 100 […]Oliveyew
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 318 January 24, 2019In The News! DDO Bonus Days bring you a Double Mysterious Remnants Weekend! Get twice the chance to earn Remnants from Champions, now through January 27th! Improve Your Character! Get 20% off: Select Stat Tomes & Skill Tomes Tomes of Learning Harper Agent Enhancement Tree Now through January 31st! The Weekly Coupon gets […]Oliveyew
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #399 January 22, 2019Evarina enjoys the snow with her new coat in our 399th DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Evarina, for sending in this week's screenshot. Click here to see the entire gallery. DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 317 January 17, 2019In The News! DDO Bonus Days bring you a +10% VIP XP Weekend! VIP players get an additional +10% VIP XP (for a total of +20%) now through Monday, January 21st! Get A Boost! Get 20% off: Sovereign XP Elixirs Treasure Hunter Elixirs Greater Slayer Boosts Long Lasting Supreme Ability Potions Now through January […]Oliveyew
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #398 (for real) January 14, 2019NOTE: We recently discovered a numbering error and want to get it corrected ahead of the 400th DDO Screenshot of the Week. This is actually week 398. Tiggle captures the eerie feel of Wheloon Prison in our 398th DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Tiggle, for sending in this week's screenshot! Click here to see the […]Cordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 316 January 9, 2019In The News! DDO Bonus Days bring you Double Commendations of Valor, now through January 13th! Hack & Stash! Get 25% off: Slayer Boosts Loot Boost & Treasure Hunter Elixirs Select Shared Storage Now through January 17th! The Weekly Coupon gets you a Lesser Treasure Hunter's Elixir with the Coupon Code TREASURE, now through […]Oliveyew
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #398 January 7, 2019The High Lords of Malkier celebrate the holidays with Raid night on Sarlona in our 398th DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Littlemama, for sending in this week's screenshot. Click here to see the entire gallery! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #402 February 11, 2019