Here’s the new game trailer for DDO. The old one was nice but it’s good to have an updated one.
Monthly: March 2013
A drow, a tiefling, and a half-orc are standing on the roof of a burning building. Their only possible escape is to jump into a blanket held by a group of humans on the streets below.
The drow is the first to approach the edge. “Jump!” yell the humans. “It’s your only chance!”
Seeing no other alternative, the drow jumps off the roof. The humans pull away the blanket, leaving the drow to splat on the street, dead.
Next is the tiefling. “Come on, you have to jump!” the humans shout.
“I don’t think so,” the tiefling responds. “You’re just going to pull away the blanket and leave me to die!”
“No we’re not!” the humans yell back. “It’s just drow we don’t like. We’re fine with tieflings!”
Convinced, the tiefling jumps off and goes splat as the humans pull back the blanket.
Only the half-orc remains on top of the burning building. “Hurry up and jump or you’re gonna burn!” the humans shout.
“Nothing you humans say is gonna convince me you won’t pull away the blanket,” the half-orc responds. “So before I jump, I want you to set the blanket on the ground and back away.”
I came across
MMOdata.net(site removed) the other day when reading the forums. It’s a site that estimates the amount of accounts each major MMO has. Some of the data is a bit outdated but it gives an idea on where a lot of the MMOs rank among each other.
It was cool to see that DDO had 110000 subscribers at it’s peak in 2010 when it went to it’s current free to play model.
Most MMOs are very secretive on their actual numbers so i don’t know how accurate the site is but it’s interesting information none the less.
The Economy of DDO is getting a reboot. Astral Diamonds were introduced, to my recollection, as a way to upgrade a guild airship with an in game currency that differed from Turbine Points. They could be looted from chests but the drop rate is extremely rare. Individual players could purchase these diamonds with points then give the them to to the airship vendor. The vendor would save them and when a guild had enough diamonds an officer could purchase or upgrade an airship. This was a nice way to take Turbine Points and turn them into a type of currency.
Then they were used to make marks that could upgrade items in the Lordsmarch Plaza. Not a bad idea. If a person didn’t want to farm the marks from the quest they could just buy 5 diamonds and turn them into a mark.
A bit later astral shards were introduced. 1 astral diamond could be turned into 5 astral shards. These shards could be used to purchase gold seal hirelings, they could be used to repair weapons and items anywhere in game and they still were the way to upgrade airships.
With the addition of the shard exchange in patch 17.1 a fourth type of currency is added(platinum, commodities such as scales and other collectibles, Turbine Points and Astral Shards). The shard exchange is basically the auction house where items can be put up for auction and people can bid astral shards for those items. Depending on the item Turbine takes a fee of 30% or 40% which I think is high.
It seems to me that Turbine is trying to cash in on the micro transaction craze that is going on with facebook and mobile apps. The good news is you don’t have to use this system and you can put your items up in the regular auction house for good ol’ platinum. As GamerGeoff points out here this could be Turbines way to kind of reset the economy. Ever since update 14 my characters have gotten richer and richer. I not plat capped, but I’m willing to say that I’m comfortable and if I really wanted to I could purchase pretty much anything. At the same time I’ve noticed that the price of things in the auction house have risen as well.
With this update Turbine has given a bit of incentive to become VIP. They’re giving a XP bonus of 10% to VIPs. Fernando said this was going to happen but I didn’t expect it until update 18. Some VIPs felt a bit slighted that they have to pay extra money for expansion packs when in the beginning they were told that they fork over money every month they’d get all content. Turbine got around this by saying that expansions were different the adventure packs. This seems like a casting of cure light wounds, but it’s better then nothing.
All in all I think this is going to be a good thing for DDO. I’m gonna stick around to see.
I’m one of those people that if I’ve changed characters a bunch I have to restart my DDO client before entering a quest or wilderness area or face a possible game crash. It’s really annoying but it’s something I’ve learned to live.
I recently came across this forum post gave a little help with the subject. I followed the directions and now my game crashes a bit less. I find that now I crash half as much as before, which is still annoying, but it’s a step forward.
Part of the problem could be that I run DDO on an older machine and my old operating system can’t handle all the memory leaks that the game has. Many of my friends in the game have newer computers and they hardly crash at all.
Hope this helps.
You can read the forum post here but the general idea of it is that if in the future you reincarnate and you lose your epic destiny experience submit a ticket and eventually it will be fixed. If you lost it in the past, submit a ticket and it will eventually be fixed as well.
In either case your help ticket might go into a “researching” queue while the GMs look into it.
I’m glad they have an official way of dealing with this. I’m sure many people are tired of the “this is a known issue” message with the closing of the ticket.
Someone recently brought up on the forums that they think the DDO armors for female toons are designed by 12 year old’s. While I’m kinda neutral on the subject I do think some of them are pretty ugly. I think it’s that way so you want to buy a armor kit to cover it up. None the less, watch this video, it’s pretty dead on.
Turbine has extended VIP for four days to all that qualify. The chance took place between Friday March 8th and Sunday March 10th.
With the 250 bonus points given and most of the outfits returned it appears that the compensation is just about complete.
- December 2016 (2)
- November 2016 (1)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (1)
- May 2016 (3)
- March 2016 (1)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (1)
- December 2015 (2)
- November 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (1)
- September 2015 (1)
- August 2015 (1)
- July 2015 (2)
- June 2015 (1)
- May 2015 (2)
- April 2015 (2)
- March 2015 (2)
- February 2015 (1)
- January 2015 (3)
- December 2014 (3)
- November 2014 (1)
- October 2014 (1)
- September 2014 (3)
- August 2014 (2)
- July 2014 (2)
- June 2014 (6)
- May 2014 (3)
- April 2014 (4)
- March 2014 (3)
- February 2014 (2)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (2)
- October 2013 (2)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (4)
- July 2013 (2)
- June 2013 (2)
- May 2013 (5)
- April 2013 (8)
- March 2013 (20)
- February 2013 (34)
Tagsairship android birthday box bugged bugs builds character generator Cordovan Crazy ddo destiny developer downtime dragons Dungeons and Dragons epic epic destiny epic gianthold gameplay gianthold giveaway hotfix kobold maintenance marketplace Monsters MotU outfit patch reference release notes screen shot servers shadowfell shroud stream Tolero turbine points twitch update update 17 update 20 update 22 youtube
- Introducing: The DDO Hardcore League! August 15, 2019The Hardcore League has arrived! The Hardcore League is a three-month experience from August 16 through November 15 that tests the skill of players with the ultimate penalty for failure - permadeath! During the Hardcore League, goals are set for players, and progress is based on two factors, each with their own […]
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #427 August 6, 2019Evarina encounters butterflies and wishes everyone a great summer in our 427th DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Evarina, for sending in this week's screenshot. Click here for the entire gallery! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #426 July 29, 2019Gruumble Gravelson raises a ruckus when denied entry into the Skyway Theatre in our 426th DDO Screenshot of the Week!n Thanks, Claver, for sending in this week's screenshot! Click here for the entire gallery! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 343 July 23, 2019In the News! DDO Bonus Days bring you a +5% Reaper XP boost, now through July 28th! Otto's Boxes, Epic Otto's Boxes, and Improved Otto's Boxes are now on sale for a limited time! Find them in the DDO Store through August 4th! Adventure and Advance! Get 20% off: Select Adventure Packs Quest XP Elixirs Now through […]Cordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #425 July 22, 2019Rinwhel tries to predict the future in the starts in our 425th DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Marcelo, for sending in this week's screenshot. Click here to check out the entire gallery! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 342 July 17, 2019In The News! DDO Bonus Days bring you doubble Commendation of Valor now through July 21st! Get A Boost! Get 25% off through July 25th: Sovereign XP Elixirs Treasure Hunter Elixirs Greater Slayer Boosts Long Lasting Supreme Ability Potions Summer Sails continue! Get: 35% off +20 Hearts of Wood 50% off +3 Tome […]Oliveyew
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #424 July 16, 2019Sisters Lielea and Mielea take in the wonders of Sharn in our 424th DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Mielea, for sending in this week's screenshot! Click here for the entire gallery. DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #423 July 3, 2019Deathblades harnesses the light from the sky in our 423rd DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Dark Adaptation, for sending in this week's screenshot! Click here for the entire gallery. DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #422 July 1, 2019Lehren dispatches a mighty champion beholder in our 422nd DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thank you, Psychoblonde, for sending in this week's screenshot. Click here to check out the entire gallery! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 338 June 20, 2019In The News! DDO Bonus Days bring you a +5% Reaper XP Boost, now through June 23rd! Advance Your Alts! Get 20% off Tomes of Learning Select Low Level Adventures +2 Ability Tomes Now through June 27th! The Weekly Coupon gets you Haste Potion x5 with the Coupon Code HASTEPOT5, now through June 27th! […]Oliveyew
- Introducing: The DDO Hardcore League! August 15, 2019