A while ago Cordovan and developer Knockback did a Developer Commentary on the quest The Snitch. I personally loved it. I liked learning about some of the back grounds stuff that I’ve noticed in quests. I’m one of those people that like to go slow through quests the first few times I do it to see if I can pick up on those things. A lot of times I’ll solo it on casual and not finish or do it over-level (to preserve bravery bonus) so I don’t have to worry about the group zooming ahead of me.
In the video they mention about the letter optional in The Snitch where you are supposed to retrieve, if I remember this properly, a “love” letter for an NPC that if you read it before you turn it in it turns out to be a death threat. When I first read that, years ago, I was reminded of all the table top games I’ve run. That is something that if I was the DM I’d throw right in to add flavor.
My only critique might be that next they find a group from the start that wants to go through the quest a bit slower. Although they did go through it multiple times and subsequent runs were slower.
I’ve been following Summer Fling since episode 3 and I’ve been quite enjoying it. I really like how if they die they shame each other in a fun way. Makes for some good entertainment. In this particular video a bug was witnessed right away. When Cordovan tried to turn in collectibles to get a blue augment the collectibles were consumed but no augment was received. I think it would have been funny if he put in a ticket for an admin.
For the longest time I’ve been interested in Argonnessen’s Mortal Voyage Guild’s style play where you can only use only use the items and weapons you loot but I’ve not been a fan of deleting your character after a death. I’d imagine that it’d be too frustrating for me. I think what Summer Fling does is a happy middle ground that I would enjoy. When I TR I almost do that anyway. I level pretty quickly even on third life so I find that it slows me down to constantly go to the crafting hall to craft new gear or to scour the AH (and most of the time find nothing). I’m also pretty starved for inventory space so I tend not to save non named items from previous lives. I find that through years of experience that I can play pretty well undergeared and I don’t have to really gear myself until I can equip my old greensteel. It’s pretty funny how much more powerful I get between levels 10 and 11. To kinda challenge myself in a “permadeath” style I like to loot the Smoldering Cudgel from Ghost of a Chance and see how long I can keep it. It’s not quite permadeath but if I still have it in my inventory I know I haven’t died yet.
If you enjoy seeing behind the scenes stuff take a look at the developer commentary and if you like watching a fun group play some DDO watch the Summer Fling. Both are pretty long but worth a viewing.
Cordovan and Vargouille do a preview of the new bard enhancement trees due to come out with Update 22 patch 2.
Since the addition of Swashbuckler I’ve seen a whole bunch of bards running around I expect that once this patch is released I’ll be seeing a lot more. The video is a bit longer then 45 minutes but if you serious about bards it’s worth a watch.
Among other things they’ve added a few SLAs to Spellsinger and some melee boosts to Warchanter. Something they brought up early in the live stream was that they wanted to add things but didn’t want to take away things to bard so that builds wouldn’t be broken. I like this idea a lot. It keeps a lot of versatility and you have a lot of choices on how to build a character. To me this patch shows that while DDO is ever evolving it still stays true to its roots as much as possible.
The new 3 Barrel Cove has been out for a few weeks and I’ve gotten a chance to run it a couple of times. I like that there is a public area now outside of the Salty Wench but I haven’t found where the Minotaur rare was relocated to. I’m sure he’s out there though.
Precious Cargo is pretty fun. If I wasn’t running it with some people who have done it before I probably would have been pretty confused. I also like how they redid the other quests and the Airship fights in the explorer zone are pretty entertaining as well. The new Prove Your Worth is interesting but it was too buggy for me. Both times I ran the quest the whole party, for a lack of a better term, lagged out and we had to start over again. It even happened on the official DDO live stream last week and they ended up doing the new Garl’s Tomb instead.
Most of the loot I’ve seen has been pretty good. I like how the items, at least the stuff that I pulled, is bound to account and I can shared bank it to other characters.
I’m glad the shared bag bank is back but I’m still really not liking how I can’t have my bags open with any bank or crafting station. I’m half expecting it to glitch and not be able to have my inventory open either. I really hope the developers can fix certain issues so that we can have our bags open with the bank again but I’m not holing my breath.
I still haven’t been able to roll up a swashbuckler bard yet but from all the things I’m hearing it sounds like it’s a pretty good enhancement line that I will be testing as soon I get a chance.
I hope some new saga’s are planned for the future, maybe something involving House Kundarak.
From what I’ve seen so far, with some ironing of some wrinkles, I think Pirates of the Thunder Sea is a really good update.
U22 has been out for a few days now and I really haven’t gotten too much time to fully enjoy it yet but from what I’ve seen I do like where it is going.
I really like the new airship concept. The hold rooms and state rooms really make sense to me. I wish that when purchasing them the description was a little more accurate though. I understand that my guild connections have gotten me something but what?!? It’s rather annoying that I have to look at the wiki just to find out.
The single buff bar is amazing. I still enjoy going to the cargo hold to get the old buffs that still work or stack with the new ones. They feel like old friends and I will be sad when we won’t be able to purchase them and they will eventually expire. I do wonder what will happen with the old hook point system. Will it be a part of the ship that we won’t do anything with or will they be used for something new? I think it would be kind of cool to be able to put guild trophies down there. For example if the guild runs a Epic Elite Vault/Plane of the Night the guild leader could get a token that would put a trophy in the cargo hold that if a guest of the airship (or anyone) looks at they can see the date, who participated and things like that.
I like the idea of the shared ingredients bank slot. I don’t like how I can’t have my bank open at the same time as any bag. I understand why that was done. The few people who do bad things ruin it for the people who don’t (I could be completely wrong on this though) . I’m no programmer but it seems to me that it should have been tested a bit more before being released. I now can’t get any materials that I put in there until it gets fixed and returned. It really doesn’t matter though seeing as most crafting is bugged at the moment.
I haven’t gotten much time to try Single Weapon Fighting, Swashbuckler Bard or Epic Three Barrel Cove yet but I am looking forward to doing so.
DDO game servers are down and is currently scheduled to be brought back up at
Noon 3PM Eastern time. When the servers are brought back up you will be able to experience Update 22:Pirates of the Thunder Sea in all it’s glory. You can read the release notes here.
While all of it looks wonderful this stuck out at me: “It is now possible to show equipped goggles on your upper forehead, allowing you to see your character’s eyes while also seeing the goggles equipped. This can be done by using the /gogglesup on|off in the chat window.”
Now I’m just gonna look super cool.
Update 22:Pirates of the Thunder Sea release date has been announced! From Dungeons and Dragons Online Facebook “The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Wednesday, June 11th from 7:00 AM – 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) to launch Update 22: Pirates of the Thunder Sea. Thanks for your patience, and we’ll see you back in the game soon!”
It’s coming out a lot sooner than I expected. The last few updates have been pretty good about being released with few bugs so I’m sure that they’ll keep up their good track record and release content that is ready.
Here is a preview of the largest ship available to purchase when Update 22 is released. From what I’m hearing there will no longer be a minimum level needed to buy an airship so low level guilds can buy the biggest and the best if they have the astral shards but there is still a minimum level needed to get access to the amenities.
Steelstar and Cordovan do an in-depth preview of the Swashbuckler tree and the Single Weapon Fighting feats. It’s a pretty long video but it’s definitely worth watching.
It answers the questions I had on how single one handed weapons could compete with two weapons or two handed fighting. Single Weapon Fighting feats help by being able to use up to twice your ability bonus to damage on your single weapon. The Swashbuckling bard tree aids by helping you critically hit a lot more.
I think the new Bard Enhancements are going to be very worth splashing into or even to go full on Swashbuckler.
- August 2014 (2)
- July 2014 (2)
- June 2014 (6)
- May 2014 (3)
- April 2014 (4)
- March 2014 (3)
- February 2014 (2)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (2)
- October 2013 (2)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (4)
- July 2013 (2)
- June 2013 (2)
- May 2013 (5)
- April 2013 (8)
- March 2013 (20)
- February 2013 (34)
Tagsairship android auction birthday box bugged builds bypass character generator classes coming soon companion Cordovan Crazy ddo destiny developer downtime dragons Dungeons and Dragons epic epic destiny epic gianthold gameplay gianthold kobold maintenance marketplace Monsters MotU outfit patch pen and paper reference release notes screen shot servers shadowfell Tolero turbine points update update 17 update 20 update 22 youtube
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 106 August 22, 2014Community Spotlights Fundamental is having a Turbine Point giveaway this weekend! Click here to find out how to enter! Erdrique looks at the districts of Stormreach in a new blog post! Click here to read it! To nominate a player, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "PLAYER SPOTLIGHT" Events The Heroes of the Hinfolk are holding a trivia eCordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #185 August 18, 2014Sixpakk poses after a battle in Amrath in our 185th DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thank you Sixpakk for sending in this cool-looking screenshot! Interested in finding out how to submit your own screenshot? Click here for submission details! Check out our entire gallery here! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 105 August 15, 2014Community Spotlights Looking for .gifs? Geoffhanna has you covered! Click here to see them! Voodu Spyce talks about soloing Elite Stealer of Souls in a new YouTube video! Click here to watch it! To nominate a player, email email@example.com with the subject line "PLAYER SPOTLIGHT" Events The Halfling Summer Games continue on Khyber with a "nudCordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #184 August 11, 2014Uurlock celebrates in "Halfling Paradise" in our 184th DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Uurlock, for sending in this fun screenshot! Interested in finding out how to submit your own screenshot? Click here for submission details! Check out our entire gallery here! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 104! August 8, 2014Community Spotlights SithDDO has a guide to Epic leveling! Click here to watch the video on YouTube! Erdrique looks at Tomb of the Unhallowed in a new blog post! Click here to read it! To nominate a player, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "PLAYER SPOTLIGHT" Video Spotlight Fundamental looks at the "Beauty of Thunderholme" inCordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #183! August 7, 2014Dobol shows off his necromancer ability in Searing Heights in our 183rd DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Nathaniel, for sending in this cool screenshot! Interested in finding out how to submit your own screenshot? Click here for submission details! Check out our entire gallery here! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 103! July 21, 2014Community Spotlights Ssaparra, Illarvan and others are livestreaming a new static group on Wayfinder! Click here to watch "Minion Mondays!" Tevasama has created a new map for the Restless Isles! Click here to see it! The Long Shot reports from Stormreach! Click here to read it! To nominate a player, email email@example.com with the subject lineCordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #182! July 21, 2014Kabuki rests after a successful night raid on the Blood Tide Pirates in our 182nd DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thank you, Ovrad, for sending in this screenshot! Interested in finding out how to submit your own screenshot? Click here for submission details! Check out our entire gallery here! DDO Screenshot of the WeekCordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 102! July 18, 2014Community Spotlights Jaggie is making new plushies! Click here to see them! The Long Shot reports directly from Stormreach in a new blog post! Click here to read it! SithDDO talks about making more plat in a new video! Click here to watch it! To nominate a player, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "PLAYER SPOTLIGHT" Events The HalflingCordovan
- New Quarterly Wallpapers are now available! (Q3 2014 Edition) July 15, 2014Here are the newest Quarterly Wallpapers for your desktop, laptop, or tablet! Simply left-click on the resolution of your choice to open the image, or right-click and ‘save as’ to download to your desktop! 1600x1200 (4:3) 1920x1080 (16:9) 1920x1200 (16:10) w/Calendar: 1600x1200 (4:3) 1920x1080 (16:9) 1920x1200 (16:10) 1600x1200 (4:3) 1920x1080 (16:9) 192Cordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 106 August 22, 2014
- Servants of the Overlord ... Fix the bug already! August 29, 2014Since the quest first came out, the Servants of the...Neehla
- Hey, could maybe someone pay the phone bill, or feed the hamsters? August 29, 2014Getting a little tired this week of watching whole parties...Bluenoser
- Colors of the Queen "fixed"? August 29, 2014Hello, Just wondering if Colors of the Queen has been...Fuitentooty
- Proposed melee changes are too much - first life Pally on Lamania August 29, 2014I promise I won't bother you again, except saying one last...Wipey
- please buff owlbear and panther.. August 28, 2014especially owlbears.. they are not wroth using in quest.....burningwind
- Epic Abbot defeated + feedback August 28, 2014Thanks to the guys from Blood Assassins, Omnipresence,...Minrothad
- DC Strike down doing wrong damage type August 28, 2014Strike down is doing light damage not fire, which is great...ReaperAlexEU
- Do they have any intention of making a way to update all the older named items August 28, 2014I recently returned to the game to see that all of my named...imblo99
- Vanguard? August 28, 2014The big talk has been about Paladins, MRR, and Vanguard...Battlehawke
- Paladin Tree Feedback / Bugs etc August 28, 2014Didnt see a thread, so heres a thread regarding the paladin...bbqzor
- Servants of the Overlord ... Fix the bug already! August 29, 2014