MMOBomb.com is having a March Madness style contest between a bunch of free to play games. DDO took their first round against Firefall in the Warrior Division. Round 2 DDO is up against Team Fortress 2. Very tough competition. At the time of this post DDO is up by almost 20%. Show your support by voting here. Keep up with the showdown here or when we win on keep up with the contest on www.MMOBomb.com. This round of voting ends at 1PM PST on Friday March 7th.
I participated in the 8th Anniversary Trivia Event. I was sitting and waiting for Cordovan’s LFM to appear. I saw it and I clicked it right away. I ended being the first person to join on the first LFM on the first server. All in all it was really fun. Dice were rolled, questions were asked, answers were given and prizes were given out. Some of the questions were really easy. Like “Fighters get___”, but some were somewhat difficult or obscure such as “What is the name of the NPC in the random public area” (I left out the actual questions in case he needs to use them again)
I didn’t win the grand prize but I did get a pet, a turbine point code and a Lousy Chain Docent. That’s not an assessment of the docent, that’s the actual name of it. The description: “You participated in a Live Event, but all you got was this lousy chain docent”
I took a few screen shots and while I was reviewing them to post here I noticed something pretty cool. Cordovan had a shield with a Turbine logo on it. The only problem was that the only screen shot I got of it wasn’t a great angle. I tried to find him again with his next group to take more screen shots but he was on top of a building in Eveningstar that is inaccessible to the general population.
If anyone happens to have a closer screen shot of the Turbine Shield post it in the comments on DDOgaming Facebook. I would love to see a good shot of it. I hope Turbine does more events like this. They don’t even have to wait for a Anniversary.
This is the first time I’ve actually seen an admin or developer on the live server. Either it doesn’t happen very often or I always miss it. I think it’d be nice for them to have a presence. I’m really glad I was able to be there for this one. It was a lot of fun.
I frequently get frustrated when Colonel Baktor shows up. His aggro bounces which causes him to teleport over and over causing crippling lag. I’m not sure if it’s technically lag. Lag is defined as “ a noticeable delay between the action of players and the reaction of the server.” All I know is my computers frame rate drops and I have no idea what’s going on. Most of the time the group is done shrining before I can tell that he’s been killed. I usually have enough time to shrine myself though.
I run DDO on an older computer so I thought that was the issue but I’m hearing that people who have newer computers have the same issue. According to the wiki this bug can be fixed by using a skill that causes his agro to reset or to cast mass invisibility on the group both of which only works half the time for me.
All I know is that when this fight comes up I slowly work my way to the area where the shrines spawn and by the time I get there the fight is over and I can shrine. If possible I don’t run this quest on a healer because I could cause the party to wipe and I wouldn’t even know it.
In the upcoming months I will be acquiring a new computer and I’m hoping that this will help with the issue but I’m not so sure.
Senior Developer DrOctothorpe posted a thread in the forums a while back asking us a few questions.
When told to name one loot system that was too hard to acquire, the majority of people overwhelmingly stated the old scroll/seal/shard system was the worst. While I think that when the level cap was 20 the system, while difficult, felt okay but now it takes too long to acquire the desired item. By the time you get everything you need there are so many better items out there.
That got me to thinking: How could it be fixed and not upset anyone who has the old items and bags and bags of the old scrolls, seals and shards?(like me)
I came up with this(and if any developer reads this, you can have it):
First: Update the old epic quests to drop different versions of items depending on quest difficulty: Epic Normal, Epic Hard and Epic Elite (all BTA or BTC) with the same drop rate as newer epic items. Current epic items would automatically be Epic Elite. Base items would given by quest chain or quest giver end rewards and in the heroic content.
Second: Through Alter of Epic rituals base item with scroll would make Epic Normal item, base item with scroll and seal would make Epic Hard item and base item with scroll, seal and shard would make Epic Elite item. That way anyone who’s been saving materials could still get something and wouldn’t have to throw away any hard work.
Third: I think that old scrolls, seals and shards should still drop like they do now, at least for a while, so that if someone currently needs just one or two pieces they can still get it. Or all current materials could be bartered for like the Sands of Menechtarun scrolls can be now in the Twelve.
That’s my idea and while it may not be perfect I think it could bring some new life into that old content. Maybe even sell a few of those old packs to new players.
Tell me what you think. Here or on Facebook.
ProducerRowan gave us a review of this past year as well as a sneak peek at what is possibly in store for us next year. You can read the full post by him here.
He touches on some of the hits and misses that occurred during this past year. The misses include the buggy Mabar Event and the duplication exploit. The Mabar event has, in my opinion, has always been pretty buggy/lagy so except for the first few times it was live I never really put much effort into it. I’m actually surprised that the duplication exploit was even mentioned seeing as that kind of stuff, at least in the official channels is extremely hush hush.
What I’m really excited about is what’s coming up next year. There is going to be two new huge raids in Forgotten Realms which will introduce a minority that I forgot existed in the world; the dwarfs and Thunderholme.
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Dungeons and Dragons a classic module, Haunted Halls of Eveningstar will be released. Both Thunderholme and the Haunted Halls will be adventure packs free to VIPs.
The thing I’m most excited for is the second update that is going to be released. Eberron is going to have Three Barrel Cove taken to epic. I should have seen this coming. The devs always seem put little clues into what’s coming up if you look hard enough for them. I thought the new items that were made a few updates ago were just to give a little life to the old quest pack but I think they were actually a sneak peek in to the new epic items(all the Scoundrels items ect..). Within this update there are going to be new airship layouts which is something I’ve been looking forward to for a while and I’m going to be happy to spend astral shards on.When not questing I spend most of my time on my airship so a change of scenery will be nice.
The third and fourth “updates” which I suspect one of them will be an expansion is going to be a new area called Anauroch in Forgotten Realms and the level cap will be increased to the top limit of level 30. There is also talk of a new Epic Destiny in the divine sphere which you can read about here.
Some things that are on the table but not confirmed for possibly 2015 are “Greensteel 2,” “Intelligent Weapons” and “Sentient Weapons.” There could possibly be very high endgame weapons and items that would use crafting elements. I’m thinking like the current Greensteel model but higher level obviously.
All in all I think we are all in store for a nice 2014.
Due to raid completions not awarding a 20th named item reward for completion everyone who did any raid, other then Tempest Spine and Chronoscope, or TR’d after update 19 was supposed to get a Raider’s Box containing one weapon from Caught in the Web once update 20 was released. That didn’t happen correctly and not everyone who met the criteria received a Raider’s Box so Turbine, in my opinion, said “F*ck it, give everyone one.”
So now, all of my characters have one weapon from Caught in the Web and most have two weapons from that raid. I’ve completed that raid twice. My arcane archer that I rolled 3 weeks ago who is level 8 has a Pinion. I’m not complaining but I don’t feel I’m worthy to have one compared to someone who ran that quest over and over to get theirs.
On one of my characters I couldn’t find the second Raider’s Box after the hotfix. My guildie suggested that I put in a bug report. I felt weird about that. On the one hand I’d never done Caught in the Web on this character so I really didn’t think I deserved it but on the other hand everyone else got a second box so I should too. I was about to put the bug report when I looked in my bank and noticed that I had stored the first one there and didn’t use it yet. I would have looked like a total tool to the GM who would have responded. “Where’s my free thing!! Oh, in my bank, sorry to bother you”
Update 20 is live. You can read the release notes here.
While there are two new quests available (A Study in Sable and Brothers of the Forge) this update is mostly a game play and mechanics update. There’s a lot to read in the release notes but here are some basics:
- There are two more reincarnation options(Epic and Iconic) with Heroic basically staying the same. Greater and Lesser Reincarnation have been wrapped into one.
- Thirty Two quests have had their experience changed. Four have been lowered and twenty eight have been raised.
- Experience needed to hit level 20 has been slightly lessened for 2nd and 3rd(and beyond) lives.
- There is a new Otto’s Box for sale.
There’s a lot more there so enjoy your long reading session.
The Mabar event is closing early due to “lag” issues. It’s last day will be October 31st(it will end in the wee hours of the morning November 1st EST)
I noticed on Cordovan’s post lag is in parenthesis. It almost seems like he’s saying that the lag doesn’t exist. He later explains that the issues are not necessarily traditional lag issues (typically latency issues) but rather bugs and performance issues.
I’m just happy that we’re given a bit more time to farm stuff instead of it just being closed down immediately. The sad thing is that they don’t expect to bring it back this year. Maybe the Traveler will come back and give us something to take up our time.
Like Us On Facebook
Tagsandroid auction birthday box bugged builds bypass character generator classes coming soon companion Crazy ddo destiny downtime dragons Dungeons and Dragons epic epic destiny epic gianthold gameplay gianthold kobold maintenance marketplace Monsters MotU outfit patch pen and paper raid reference release notes screen shot screen shots servers shadowfell shroud tips Tolero turbine points update update 17 update 20 youtube
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #163! March 11, 2014Charmont gets a great view of an airship in our 163rd DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thanks, Charmont, for sending in this cool screenshot! Interested in finding out how to submit your own screenshot? Click here for submission details! Check out our entire gallery here! DDO Screenshot of the Week […]Cordovan
- Update 21 March 10, 2014*/ */ Celebrate the 40th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons with deadly dragons, iconic adventures, and ancient treasure-filled ruins! New Adventure Pack: Haunted Halls of Eveningstar Module Once the lair of the long-dead bandit king Rivior, rumors say treasures still await those brave enough to delve into the depths of the Haunted Halls. A classic D& […]QuartermasterU
- New in the DDO Store! March 10, 2014*/ New to the DDO Store with Update 21: Legendary Halls Available now, in-game! DDO's most recent update brings new content, and with it, new items to find in the DDO Store! New Adventure Packs! 550-650 Account → Adventures → Adventure Packs → Epic Level Haunted Halls of Eveningstar Free to VIPs! Rumors say treasures still await those brave enough to de […]QuartermasterU
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 83 March 7, 2014Community Spotlights MD Interactive is celebrating eight years of DDO with a video showcasing some of the game's coolest imagery! Click here to watch it! Livmo discovers something unusual in the Stormhorns...click here to see the mystery! AidenRyuko is offering crafting help to new players on all servers! Click here to find out more! To nominate a pla […]Cordovan
- DDO Store Sales: March 7th - 13th March 6, 2014*/ 20% off Select Epic Destiny Items, Tomes of Fate, & More! March 7th – 13th SEE ALL SALESClick Here Bonus Weekend +25% to Epic Quest XP March 7th – 9th See what's new With Update 21! Read More Limited Time Epic Otto's Box Improved with Update 21 Now - March 17th March 7th – 13th Major SP Potion x10 Use Coupon Code NMMP7 1/Account Click here f […]QuartermasterU
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #162! March 6, 2014Intha Darkstealer takes a break before battling Tyvrus, the Shade Wizard, in our 162nd DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thank you, Intha, for sending in this cool screenshot! Interested in finding out how to submit your own screenshot? Click here for submission details! Check out our entire gallery here! DDO Screenshot of the Week […]Cordovan
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 82 February 26, 2014Community Spotlights Kuro_zero has written a guide to help players looking to True Reincarnate and level up solo! Click here to learn more! Erdrique writes about running The Tide Turns on Epic difficulty in a new blog post! Click here to read it! To nominate a player, email email@example.com with the subject line "PLAYER SPOTLIGHT" Events NexEvert […]Cordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #161 February 24, 2014Wucan pets Velah in our 161st DDO Screenshot of the Week! Thank you, Wucan, for sending in this funny screenshot! Interested in finding out how to submit your own screenshot? Click here for submission details! Check out our entire gallery here! DDO Screenshot of the Week […]
- The DDO Chronicle: Issue 81 February 20, 2014Community Spotlights Ecgric is conducting a "hide and seek" event on Orien this weekend, and giving away Turbine Points as prizes! Click here for event details! Amylee4000 brings her character Tharsys Itsindi to life with some great art! Click here to see it! To nominate a player, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "PLAYER SPOTLIG […]Cordovan
- Dev Diary: Thunderholme February 20, 2014Legendary Halls of the Realms In Update 21 DDO travels to some famous locations in and around Cormyr. We take you to the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, which began as a classic 2nd Edition pen-and-paper module. Now it's a massive DDO adventure, complete with commentary by Ed Greenwood himself. We also visit another set of legendary halls in this upda […]Cordovan
- DDO Screenshot of the Week #163! March 11, 2014
- PSA: Madstone Boots are worthless again March 12, 2014Turbine ruined my boots with the silly beholder buff. I...Therrias
- A fix to pure ranged rangers , And a balancing between 10k'ers !!! March 12, 2014It's all about the DOUBLESHOT which is already in game and...murf201
- Noooooooo! March 12, 2014i was very excited knowing that on the 11th of march we...akpavker
- Cannot get past Akamai EULA March 12, 2014My wife has been unable to get past the Akamai EULA. Every... […]Rapthorn
- How to up black stones drop rate? March 12, 2014I have run HH 2x and got 3 stones... minimum useful number...goldgolem
- Pale Master Wraith form March 12, 2014Since U21 When I enter Wraith form I become completely...Amenestra
- Stealth Nerfs sux March 12, 2014• Many spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities now...DaggomaticDwarf
- First EE Fire on Thunder Peak Completion! March 12, 2014This one was pretty tough, yet another blind run where none...Takllin
- First EE Fire on Thunder Peak Completion! March 12, 2014This one was pretty tough, yet another blind run where none...Takllin
- Canceled all 3 VIP subscriptions March 12, 2014Will check in periodically to see if they decide to remove...Zaodyna
- PSA: Madstone Boots are worthless again March 12, 2014